Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Circus

The circus has fallen down
to knees it never thought could
buckle. 
The big top is all but put up
In some other, distant town. 
And I
being of the last 
must lock up everything. 

Must store our memories away
of time when life
was learned at play. 
The bonds of our adolescents
now become the chains
securing our promises--
ones we skance remember 
and other we shall never forget. 
A toast:
"To us girls, as we set foot
from here. 

I have heard it whispered
By 17th century men of cloth,
As well as pen:
"Real friends are our greatest joy
and, our greatest sorrow."
Is that why I cry today,
or is it what follows next:
"all true and faithful friends
should expire on the same day"?
For we did not expire
But moved on, as if
inspired
by some mainstream current
to shed the child's life
in search of adult wishes. 

So spiteful and divided 
Belloc comes to me
in remindance of my pleasant friends
and the love we share
despite distance. 

As I age
I sympathize with Tomas:
"loving those most whom I loved first"
dwelling with sadness on thoughts
of who left first. 
Days are a bit longer now,
nights a tad slower,
as I'm left to mediate
a once crowded bar
with newly vacant stools. 

We were friends who flourished in our flock,
now to manage life's migrations. 
Some went west
stars pasted to eyes. 
Some to the city
a future to materialize. 
I am here, with sorrowful surprise. 
Yet,

I embrace the new day,
as I look forward to new years
for the circus shall pass this way again,
and dragging out a ringleader's costume
I will unlock those chains of promise
ushering in
The Greatest Friends on Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment